Monday, April 21, 2008

Accessibility on the web - a technical issue

The biggest rage in blogging is the video clip. The only problem is that (1) many laptop computers do not have powerful speakers; and (2) some of us are hearing impaired.

I am hearing impaired and use a laptop computer. Even if the speakers on my laptop had a higher volume at max, I still couldn't hear video's very well. Since many of the videos on political blogs are taken from television news programs, companies that have software to produce digital videos should be designed to pick up closed captioning. It may be too expensive to run the captioning simultaneously with the video. From my point of view, a simple dump of the captioning into a text file to be used as a transcript would be like heaven.

Media Matters exports their video with an attached summary, which is the best option I've seen so far, and I'm grateful to them for making this type of video available.

Too many blog posts put out a title and an embedded video with no explanation. I understand their trying to get information out in a timely manner. I understand also that blogging is a labor of love and commitment, especially political and that bloggers need time for their private lives. I appreciate the citizen journalist value that they provide to people like me.

While I could wish that bloggers would do more to meet the needs of people with disabilities in their posting, the truth is that it would be more efficiently done at the transfer of the capture from dvd/tape to the internet video recording. Providing the technology at that level would make it easy to provide transcript services

No comments: